Saturday, July 26, 2014

Quilt Top Finished!

A year ago our on line group, SQTG, had two signature block swaps.  The Snowball Block and a Flying Geese Block, and a 20 block Ohio Star Block exchange that I was invited to participate in.  

The snowball blocks were quick and easy to assemble.  The flying geese blocks, I had nightmares at times. Trying to make 60 plus blocks  "perfectly", to send off; because there are some exceptionally talented quilting ladies that are in this group, I labored over these blocks.  I had my son inspect them, as he is a talented and a world wide known builder of RC Crawlers.  Everything he builds is nothing but perfection. Don't know where he gets that from. LOL  It sure isn't me. LOL So, his eye rejected a few of my blocks. LOL   So, trying to do the "perfection thing", it resulted in having a few x-tra blocks, both flying geese and Ohio Star blocks.

March, 2014 I finished my Snowball Quilt.  I truly love this little quilt.  I documented on the back side the states and countries that were in the exchange.  I sewed the blocks together alphabetically with the quilter's first names.  I wanted the participants to be able to see where their blocks were in the quilt if viewed on line.

Now, loving the arrangement that I had made in the first quilt, I wanted to do something like it for my flying geese blocks.  Lovely blocks ........... the thing was, that if I chose to do the alphabetically thing again, a few of the quilter's first names, if done alphabetically, wouldn't work.  It seems like the "K's" and "S's"  enjoyed the same choice of color in their alphabet. LOL   So, I had to play around with different combinations. Because I didn't have the number of "even" blocks I needed to complete my design, I had to "delve" into those in-perfect blocks I had rejected.  LOL

I had most of the 9 rows of 8 blocks each hanging around on my design wall for a few months.  After my daughter and family returned home a week ago from vacationing with us, I decided that I didn't like the design I had created, and I took apart most of the quilt in one evening.  Laid out the individual blocks, and a couple rows I didn't have to touch, and got those imperfect blocks and threw them in too.  Well, much to my amazement, the quilt top looks pretty darn good.  Trying to "make" it perfect by having everything match, didn't work in this case.

This is the pile I ended up with, rows and blocks separated

I couldn't decide on the picture of the quilt top to show.  So, I am showing both!

So, I guess the moral to this long story is:  enjoy your craft, stop trying to please that "eye" that see's imperfections.  Really love and be excited about what you can achieve.  It "ain't" rocket science ........

No comments:

Post a Comment