Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Stash Busting

We are having crazy weather here in Ohio ... spring one day, winter the next. So, having just finished a couple quilts, not ready to really start working on another quilt pattern at this time. But, I have found a pattern that could be a good stash buster down the road.

It consists of many, many, and many 2 1/1 inch squares. First, I was going to cut up my 30's fat quarters to do this pattern. But, it is hard to cut up those fat quarters I have been collecting over the last few years. And I haven't found the perfect pattern for them at this minute. Having another thought on this, I decided to go into my crazy pile of fabrics that I haven't found a use for yet. lol

This is the first of a few boxes I need to go thru. I am pressing and then cutting these into 2 1/2" wide strips, and then also cutting some 1 1/2" strips from the fabrics that are left. These l 1/2" strips will go into (hopefully) strings quilts. My goal is to work on a box at least a couple times a week. We'll see how this turns out.




This is the first quilt of 2019 that was started and finished.  I still had my Christmas quilt hanging here. The bunnies kind of looked out of place with the Christmas quilt hanging above them. I thought maybe this one would be my spring/summer quilt. Then my daughter suggested that it still looked like Christmas ...........soooo off to find a pattern for the elusive spring/summer quilt.




Somewhere in my travels over the internet, Pinterest and quilt magazines, I knew I had seen a tulip quilt pattern, but couldn't find the right one.  Then on a Facebook page I am following, there it was. Pat Sloan was showing pictures of a new quilt book she had just finished. There on the front cover were these darling tulips. Knew I had to have them .... and within a week I had my copy of her book.

In less than 2 weeks I had my tulip quilt completed.  I took it into the quilt shop that I had  bought my fabric from, to show them my completed top. I have always hand quilted all of my quilts. But my last quilt, which was over 3300 pieces, was long armed by them.. They just so happened to have finished a quilt design perfect for this quilt, large swirls with hummingbirds ... of course this quilt is going to be long armed by them now.


Well that is all I have for the moment .... I don't have any hand quilting to do in the evening, but I am working on some embroidery to keep me out of trouble.  Like anything could keep me out of trouble.

Bye for now,

Sharon

1 comment: